When attempting to launch any AutoCAD 2017/2018 family product (AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT, AutoCAD MEP, etc.), the application opens to the drawing editor and displays the following “License Error” message:
License manager is not functioning
The License manager is not functioning or is improperly installed. AutoCAD will shut down now.
Possible causes include:
- The FLEXnet Licensing Service is stopped and/or disabled.
- The LGS.data file is corrupt or failed to install.
- Redirection of HTTP traffic caused by malware.
For 2017 Versions
- Verify that FlexNet Licensing Service 64 is not disabled in Windows Services console. If it is not running and/or disabled, set its startup type to ‘Automatic’ and then start the service.*
- Right-click on the AutoCAD Icon, choose, ‘Run as Administrator’, and see if it runs correctly.
- Using Windows Explorer, browse to the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<Product_Key>_2017.0.0.F.
- If the folder does not exist, create it.
*To open Windows Services, press the Windows & R key to open the run window, then enter ‘services.msc’ into the open box and this will open the Services Manager.
Note: The product key must match the product that is giving the error.
For example, if you get the error with AutoCAD 2017 you need to use product key 001I1. For AutoCAD Architecture
2017 you would use product key 185I1. This is true even if you installed from a suite.
- Delete the LGS.data file, if it exists.
- Using Notepad (or preferred text editor) create a new text file called LGS.data.
- Add the following text to the text file:
_STANDALONE (or _NETWORK if the product uses a network license). The text must be all capital letters.User-added image
- Save the file to the following folder:
- Launch AutoCAD.
If the above solutions do not work, please try the following solution:
- Disable your Antivirus Software.
- Create a new activation file via the following steps:
- Remove all files under: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADUT.
- You may need to show hidden files and folders if you cannot see the AppData folder.
- Under C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ADUT, delete the ProdInd_UserInd.cur file.
- Go to C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet and delete any files that start with adskflex.
- Run your Autodesk product and try activating.
* This problem can occur if malware is installed and redirecting http traffic. Perform a system scan with your Antivirus\malware removal tool. Check browser add-ons.
For 2018 Versions
- Perform a Clean Uninstall and then reinstall the software.
- Note: The uninstall process will affect other Autodesk products already installed on your computer. Make backups and get installation files (from Autodesk Account or Virtual Agent) before uninstalling.
If you are still experiencing errors after following the steps above, please do not hesitate to contact our technical support team